Friday, April 23, 2010

Walkin' it out!!

I'm so looking forward to this:

and this:
Big Sur & my girls...it's seriously what I need after a week of this:
ok...so maybe not THAT much...but there were A LOT of tears this week.

We had layoff hearings this week, and it's been tough. I've been in hearings four days this week, which means four days away from my class. And these hearings are hard core. It's a HUGE boardroom full of teachers fighting for their jobs, so of course, emotions are high. The only people who testified were people who wanted to dispute a seniority date or degrees, and I was not one of them. I went mainly in hopes of hearing my name called to have my pink slip rescinded...but that didn't happen this week.

The process isn't over, and even though the outlook looks grim for education, I have a good chance of having a position SOMEWHERE teaching SOMETHING. But what was most upsetting yesterday was the fact that people with LESS seniority than me getting rescinded based on the fact that they hold a supplemental credential in another subject. This means that they can teach up to 9th grade. In the beginning, they only rescinded math and science supplements, which made sense since people who held math and science single subjects were exempt from the layoffs. But suddenly yesterday, EVERYONE with a supplemental was getting rescinded!! HELLO?!?

I felt SO cheated as I left the hearings yesterday. But today I got some much needed answers that allow me to rest a little easier. The people who have been rescinded will most likely be using their supplements and they will be teaching in that subject rather than an elementary classroom. Doing this opens up positions for the rest of us who only have multiple subject credentials to teach elementary. If there is someone who is less senior than I teaching in an elementary classroom and they were rescinded on the basis of their supplemental credential (which SHOULD NOT happen), then the union will get involved and the district will have a lawsuit on their hands. So I feel A LOT better today knowing that someone with less seniority than me cannot take a spot that I could be teaching.

WOW...I told you it's been crazy!!

But like I said, Big Sur and my girls this weekend to keep my spirits high. The view is going to be amazing, and I will have some amazing company.

And on ANOTHER positive note: I GOT IN TO THE NIKE HALF MARATHON!!!

So after I run for Mickey Ears (Disneyland in September) I will be running for a Tiffany's Necklace in October. Oh wait...not running, walking. :)

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!! I'll be sure to post pics of my weekend next week. Ooh...and the pics of my amazing classroom for Open House that was yesterday. 17 out of 20 of my kids showed up; I love what I do!!


4 comments:

  1. Mel! I hope I see you girls there!! My cell is (916) 761-4880 if you wanna text me and we may see each other!

    And I have fingers and toes crossed your slip gets rescinded as it should be!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kara!! This weekend will surely help to relieve some stress. I'll text you today so you'll have my number too! Have a good drive down. We're headed down this morning as well. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting into Nike, me too! Best of luck at Big Sur! Everything is going to work out for your pink slip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. okay....so... THAT'S THE WAY TO MAKE SOME AMAZING LEMONADE OUT OF LEMONS MEL!!!! thanks for blogging! I sure have been thinking about you and the job issue! good luk on big sur (i know it's over now, but i can't wait to hear how it went...BLOG IT!)

    ReplyDelete