Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Teaching Moment Tuesday: Monkey See, Monkey Do!


I'm not a parent yet, but I like to think that the children who come into my classroom are my "children". I know that my job is the teach them how to read, write, and do math, but I try and model respectable behavior and character traits also. I know this is something that EVERY mother says, but it's seriously amazing how much these kids pick up from just observation!!

It's coming close to the end of the year, and this is always the time when my kiddos go a little wild. This year, I have a great groups of kids, but even so, there have been a few more arguments, fights, and a LOT of tattling. It gets me crazy when I have to deal with tattling, and I'm sure a lost my cool a few times last week in the midst of recess drama. So today, I decided to lay low.

I was Miss Mellow-head today, making sure to keep my voice low and calm and not make a big deal out of things. My kids have become a bit more bossy lately, so today I've been reminding to not do so by saying, "kind words, kind voice." I can't stand when they argue with each other and say things in a rude manner!

So my Audrey was in charge of calendar jobs today; and man, she's a trip! But that's a whole different story. Anyway, she was going through all the calendar activities: singing the days of the week and months of the year, etc, and when she got to the place value chart, she chose a friend to help her. When Karla came up to write on the board, she made a mistake. Adam (who has been crazy bossy lately!) began yelling, "That is NOT right!! You don't know what you're doing!" And before I could even open my mouth, Audrey bends down right in front of Adam and very calmly says, "Adam, remember, kind words and kind voices!"

Oh how I love little ones!!

No comments:

Post a Comment