Tuesday, August 11, 2009

New Technology


Today I was able to go with my first grade team to a school that has been equipped with Smart Boards. I have heard great things about them for a long time,and never....EVER thought that our school site might be eligible to get one in each classroom. Now I know what you are all thinking. "How the heck does your school have the money for this?" Yea, I wonder the same thing sometimes too! But since we are a Title I school, we have a little more funding than other higher performing schools in the district. Our principal thinks that having these boards in each classroom will increase student engagement, which will in turn increase student performance, which will in turn increase academic performance in class and on tests. I just think they are plain COOL!!!

I saw how these high tech tools were used in first grade. Let me tell you, it will be QUITE the task to get myself educated and informed on how to use and create programs for the SmartBoards. But they are amazing! In each room we walked in to, almost all the students were paying attention because they wanted to participate in using the SmartBoard! It's awesome how you can go directly up to this thing, touch something, and drag it over or flip it up or move it around. My colleague said it best when she described it as a HUGE iPhone. :) I really hope that we get them at our school. I can see myself falling in love with this new technology! I'm already quite smitten with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment